Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Fitting in

Have you ever written a complaint letter to an organization?  I have.  Yes, I know that may surprise you, but I have done so on a number of occasions.  I have complained about poor service (and I mean really poor service not just bad).  I have complained about getting a "deal" from the salesperson when that "deal" ended up costing me almost 20% more than the advertised price on the flyer right in front of his face.  I have complained about paying for something but never receiving it.

On the other side of the coin, however, have you ever sent a letter to an organization complimenting them on their service of product?  Not a lot of people do that.  It may surprise you to know that I have done that a number of times in the past as well.  I have complimented an organization on how the sales person / service desk handled a complaint.  I have complimented an organization on the excellent service I have received from their staff.  I have complimented an organization on how they went out of their way to make me feel important even though, to me at least, the problem was not even worth commenting about.

Most people in this world do not complain, nor do they compliment. Why do I?  Because I want to help make a difference.  I want the organization that I dealt with to be healthier, stronger and more in tune with the needs of customers after I have interacted with them.  For complaints I want them to improve their service so that everyone they deal with feels important.  For compliments I want them to recognize that individual and help foster that same attitude amongst all of the staff.

Too often people feel disinclined to speak up.  They feel that they can have little to no impact on how (insert organization here) does its business.  As a result they behave just like ants, following the scent trail of someone who has gone before them.  They don't deviate from the path unless something prevents them from following that path.

Most people in the world are like sheep.  They go where they are told because it is easier to do that then to carve a new path.  (You can see this in Winter when someone starts a fresh path through the snow.  No matter how crooked the path, people follow it because it is easier to follow than it is to lead.)  This doesn't mean that they can't excel, just that they aren't being asked to excel.  Sure, you can tell people that you want them to think out of the box, but if you subsequently put them in a box what message are you giving them?  As a culture we foster the individuals who "conform" and "fit in" while idolizing those that "think out of the box".

Thinking independently and critically is something that we need to develop, but it requires an organizational shift that most organizations, particularly Public Sector, are not willing to experience.  "Fitting in" is still more highly praised than "standing out" as the phrase "I might get fired" brings with it a lot of fear and makes people walk that crooked line in the snow.

No comments: