Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Habits are hard to break and start

Have you ever tried to break a habit? You know, quitting smoking, stop chewing your fingernails, things like that. Or how about trying to gain a new habit? Do you take your multivitamins every day? (I know all about the controversy about multivitamins, I'm just using this as an example.) Are you trying to start a writing habit? A reading habit?

Sometimes you need a little bit of a kick in the butt. Lift.do is such a website/application that will help you do that by providing you with reminders that you need to follow up with this habit or that process. For example, I have three habits currently in Lift.do:

  • Taking a daily multivitamin. Yes, multivitamins for the sake of trying to prevent Alzheimers or to reduce the risk of heart disease is probably not a good thing to do. However, the multivitamin I am taking has the same amount of Vitamin D that my doctor recommended. The fact that I get other items such as potassium and folic acid provide me with a buffer when my diet is not as good as it should be.
  • Becoming a better blogger. This is a course/habit that is trying to help people become a better blogger by understanding who they want to target as an audience and what that target audience wants/needs to hear.
  • Meditation. Each day is an audio file that goes through and helps you relax. Literally, that's all it is, but it does have a very calming effect. I remember going through this process with my Gym teacher in Grade 2 and that relaxation technique came back quickly.

So, any day that I do at least 1 thing on my list Lift.do is happy, but gently prods me into doing more. The messages aren't demanding, but very gentle and just subtle reminders that you need to do something.

 

New plans keep being added to the list of things that you can learn and some of them are very well thought out and very helpful. Others, not so much, but you can decide for yourself what you do or do not want to learn.

 

No comments: