Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Identity Theft

I guess I can say that I am now a statistic.  You know, one of those millions of people who have been the victims of identity theft.  Let me tell you the story.

When I got home from work on Monday I noticed that I had supposedly been sending out emails from eBay account at lunch.  Within 15 minutes of the start of the emails I received an "A26 TKO Notice: Restored Account" from eBay UK stating that:

It appears your account was accessed by an unauthorized third party and used to send unsolicited emails to other community members, including email offers to sell items outside of eBay. It does not appear that your account was used to list or bid on any items.

The first thing I tried to do was log into my account.  Well, something either eBay UK did or something the hacker did was change my password.  I tried to enter in my answer to the Secret Question, but that didn't work either as the information on my account had been changed.  Following the various prompts on the eBay site I ended up sending them an email telling them what had happened and what the next step should be.

A couple of hours later I got another email that I apparently sent out eight hours after the first round.  Not content to sit by and wait for the email process to work its way through the system I then started scouring the eBay site for a phone number to call.  You know, that is one of the hardest things I had to do!!!!  I followed all the usual routes and ended up with forms to fill out.  I never did get a phone number, so I had to use their "Live Help" facility.  (My reluctance to go with this approach was due in part to a 45 minute wait on the weekend for "live help" from another company, which never even connected with a human being.)  In the case of eBay, however, the wait was less than two minutes, they told me my position in the queue (started at number 5) and the approximate wait time. 

The person who was on the other end of the chat could have been anyone, anywhere in the world.  The fact of the matter is, they looked at the information on my account, the notes they had sent to me and knew that I needed to talk to the Account Security division.  Within 30 seconds I was "chatting" with someone else who had the power to help.  Two minutes later things were fixed and that included changing the password on my account to a "stronger" password.

Was it brute force hacking of my account and password?  Not if this article is correct.

This particular episode was rather benign in that all that really happened was that some emails got sent and I had to change my password.  It could have been worse.  Much worse.  Think of that the next time you sign up for a web site.  Or, more importantly, think of that the next time you are building an externally facing application.  What are you doing to safeguard the information that you keep on your clients?  What are you doing to protect their safety?  Can you honestly say that you've done your best?

No comments: