Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Sometimes taking time is actually a shortcut

"Sometimes taking time is actually a shortcut" - Haruki Murakami from the book "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running"

He made this quote when he was talking about learning to swim for a Triathlon, but the concepts are the same regardless of what you are talking about.  People, by their very nature want to reach the end as fast as possible.  They want to learn to play a new video game properly, but they want to get to the end boss as fast as possible.  They want to learn a new computer language, but use the same constructs that they used in the old languages.  They want to learn to play the violin but try to start with Ode to Joy by Beethoven.

When I was younger I really wanted to learn to play "Smoke on the Water" by Deep Purple.  That little guitar riff had me mesmerized. I set out to learn how to play it.  A friend of mine was a guitarist so he taught me the song.  Not how to play a guitar, but how to play the first couple of minutes of the song.  That is all I learned.  I didn't learn the intricacies of how to play a guitar, I learned a single song.  ( I replicated that experience thirty five years later with Rock Band.  Ah, the memories.)

If you want to be really good at something you need to take your time.  You need to practice the little things before tackling the big things.  You need to know the basics and build on those basics to create more complex and more creative solutions or you may end up like this person.

No comments: